We have a list of general questions that helps us gage whether the tenant is a trustworthy tenant
1. Why are you moving? You should look for legitimate answers such as; starting new job or the current landlord is selling up. Not people who have fallen out with housemates etc.
2. When are you planning to move in? Be suspicious if they want to move in straight away without a reasonable reason.
3. What is your monthly income? Are you in paid regular work? You need to ascertain that they can afford the rent without subletting.
4. Can you provide references from your employer and current landlord? If they can't, then this is a clear red flag.
5. Have you ever been evicted? They may not admit to this, but you can judge their reaction to the question.
6. Do you have any pets? You will need to make a decision whether to take the pet or not dependent on the type of pet.
7. Do you have a rental guarantor in case of an unforeseen situation? Always helpful to have. Even if the tenant doesn’t require this as they have sufficient funds to support their own rent.
8. Do you have any questions? Always encourage good communication from day one.
Well we hope this helps out some Landlords of at least gives you an idea of some very basic questions to ask a tenant. Or gives an idea of what questions to expect from a letting agent or landlord when moving into a new property.
If you have questions or would like to know more about tenant referencing, please contact Clair at email@example.com